3. Authentic Learning and Leadership Opportunities – All students deserve the opportunity to apply the 7 Habits and utilize their gifts and talents to the fullest. We believe the best way for students to do so, is to engage in authentic opportunities to learn about leadership from community leaders, but also to be active in leadership opportunities. These leadership opportunities are available to Leader in Me students in their classroom, across the school, within the community and may include leadership work at events or service projects.
4. Developing Essential Soft Skills – Leader in Me is giving students in Cedar Valley schools the soft skills needed to be more effective in the classroom today and the workplace tomorrow. Students develop responsibility and learn necessary skills valuable to their future employers. Consider that Leader in Me students are utilizing the 7 Habits and their gifts and talents to do the following:
- Event planning- Blessed Maria student leaders plan and execute events
- Management- Hoover Middle School students learn the importance of management by taking the lead for lunch room operations
- Training- Southdale Elementary 6th grader trains future student communication leaders on producing daily announcements
- Facilitating- Former North Cedar Elementary leader is facilitating 7 Habits sessions for peers and adults
- Human Resources- Hoover and Blessed Maria Middle School students serve on hiring committees for new teachers
- Communications- Students from many Leader in Me schools write and deliver leadership speeches to the community, higher education, businesses, and nonprofit organizations
- Designing- Orange Elementary students design and produce leadership posters that were transformed into larger-than-life murals
- Initiative- Becker Elementary students show initiative be establishing a maintenance and grounds squad to do recycling and work to improve the environment
For information on typical results reported in Leader in Me Schools, view our Impact Report. To learn more about Leader is Me, click here.